||or short grain rice|
|rice wine vinegar
- swirl the rice in cool water, then pour off and repeat till the water is clear.
- bring rice and water to a boil over high heat, uncovered. Do not add salt during cooking.
- cover and let simmer at lowest heat for 15 mins
- remove from heat. let rice sit for 10 min, covered.
- in another bowl, combine sugar, salt, and vinegar
- microwave for 30-45 sec to help to dissolve (but not all will)
- dump rice into a large bowl (unvarnished wood is best, but glass is better than steel because it's best if the rice can cool slowly)
- spread out rice by a slashing or cutting motion, not stirring or folding.
- pour on vinegar solution
- distribute the solution throughout the rice by the same slashing motion or gentle folding, still not stirring.
- cool rice down by fanning it (manually, not a motored fan). Paper plate works if a hand-fan is not available. Fan until at room temperature.
- if not ready to use it immediately, cover bowl with a moist towel while you prepare the other ingredients.
- do not store in refrigerator, the rice will harden and lose it's stickiness.
size: 1.26 kb file modified: 2019.4.2