Yield: 6 dozen cookies
||walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)|
- Cream shortening and sugars thoroughly
- Add eggs and beat well
- Sift together flour, salt, and soda
- Add to creamed mixture, mixing well
- Stir in oats, nuts, and chocolate chips
- Take a small bowl and put some sugar in it -- maybe about 1/3 cup
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls, place on ungreased cookie sheet
- Flatten with bottom of glass dipped in the sugar
- Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes
- For the nuts, pecans can also be used.
- The sugar put into the small bowl to put on top of the cookies is not included in the amount in the ingredients list.
- We often skip the "Chill" step.
Source: Better Homes and Gardens Magazine, October 1966